Things that don’t require referrals: OB/GYN, ophthalmology, dermatology and ENT. Gaby or the Israeli student liaison can help you set up appointments. Note that some tests require you to pay out-of-pocket.
Finding a specialist: Your primary care doctor can recommend a specialist for you and the reception desk at the clinic may be able to help you schedule an appointment. If the specialist you are referred to does not speak adequate English, or you are looking to switch specialists or find a second opinion, it may be helpful to post on the yahoo group AngloBeerSheba. If you are having trouble finding a good doctor, or getting a timely appointment, speak to Dr. Clarfield and he may be able to get you a quick appointment with a good doctor.
Specialty centers: the two main locations for specialty care are Kupat Holim Gimel, and Soroka Hospital. Appointments at Kupat Holim Gimel can be made at 08-629-2727. If you are making an appointment with a Soroka specialist, it is most efficient to go to the reception desk of that division in person. Kupat Holim Gimel is located at Henrietta Szold 1.
Referral paperwork: you will need a referral (called “hafnaya”) from your primary care doctor for the first time that you see a specialist, but not for any following visits to that specialist. However, you will likely be asked for a form called a “hitchayvut” at every visit. Only Israeli citizens need this form. Showing your insurance card may clarify the situation, but if the reception desk is still skeptical, tell them that you are a foreigner (“Ani student/it zar” in Hebrew).

See also

Travel clinic
Mental health
Physical therapy